Thursday, January 21, 2010

A little about my family

OK, time to introduce my family and discribe our disabilities:
I have Retinitis Pigmentosa, which is an inherited, degenerative eye disease. So, I do have some vision, but am loosing a little all the time until one day unless the Lord stop's it, I will be totally blind. I have been a single mother for 4 1/2 years and have graduated from college with my Associates Degree in 2006 and with my Bachelor of Science this past December. I have been a stay at home for majority of my kids life but for the past 3 years have been a Substitute teacher at a local High School. I graduated in Music and Special Education. I have worked as an advocate for parents who have children with disabiliteis as well as a peer support consultant. I do know some things about disability law, though truly to know everything is impossible it seems.
My oldest son, is legally blind with the same disorder I have. He also was diagnosed with ADD (AttentionDeficit Disorder) He graduated from High School a year and a half ago and attended college for a year before starting a service mission for his church this month. It will last 2 years. He worked for Arctic Circle for the past 4 years and just recently quit for his mission. He has had alot of experiences that I will share regarding working in the fast food industry with a vision loss and the trials of dating.
My middle son, Jimmy, has several disorders. He has Aspergers Syndrome, Oppositional Defiance Disorder, Dyspraxia of Speech, Retinitis Pigmentosa (eye disease), and ADD. Jimmy is a junio at the local High School and spends the rest of his time either playing video games, chatting about video games, or once in a while reading a book. The combination of his disabilities has led to a very fun time for me. I'll explain more another time. :)
My youngest son has Autism PDDNOS that is Autism Pervasive Developmental Disorder, Not Otherwise Specified) He is a freshman at a local middle school and is eagerly awaiting entry into high school. He loves to read manga's, watch Japanese Aname. He also likes to play video games and reads once in a while.

As you can tell so far, my kids are all going through general education and we have had alot of trials with the schools. However, things have improved for there special education needs as I become more educated with the laws. We have a busy life though it is definatly different than others as far as we are more home bodies than other's but we still lead a full rich life full of ups and downs like everyone else. Every person ever born has a unique set of genes and chromosones. But, every person has the exact same basic need, breathing, food, shelter, and love. Every life is important and every person is a child of God.
I will say that my family and I are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and that we love the Lord, Jesus Christ with all our hearts, mind, and strength. I will not hide my beliefs and I respect everyone's right to believe as his or her choice. I would request that this blog be used for understanding people with disabilities and not as a forum for bashing anyone's beliefs.
I'll write more soon,
Brownierose

1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful! We are all children of our Heavenly Father and with each of us bring different talents and gifts. Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete