Thursday, February 11, 2010

Life is what we make of it!

Have you ever wondered why me? Why is this happeneing to me? What did I do to deserve this? Well, I have an answer! It's called life. I know, I know I am over simplifying it but it really does boil down to just life! We all have challenges, trials, adversity in our lives. Some of us seem to have more than others. But that is just it. I have come to the realization that life presents it's challenges and we each have a specific set of challenges that is meant to help us grow somehow.
I am constantly in awe of someone's courage as they face a major life change, or when adversity strikes and they have a smile on their face. this happened here in Salt Lake just this past weekend. 2 beautiful little girls ages 4 and 1 1/2 died due to pesticide that was sprayed to close to their house. The parents came out and said they forgive the person who did it wrong and felt bad for them. They are still in deep mourning obviously, but that they would reach out to someone during their own tim eof grief is a testiment to me that life is what we make of it.
Some people know of the trial that has beset me this past 10 days or so, but not everyone. IT has been difficult to be in chronic pain day after day, night after night, but I am still happy. I am so blessed and the Lord has poured out his blessings upon me. Yes, I still have difficulties with kids sometimes, but overall the kids have been very compassionate and sorta helpful haha. Can't get them to take out the garbage or do the dishes but hey, they have helped me move around without complainign too much haha.
Life is a gift from the Lord, and it is my responsibility ro make the most of it. I can sit and wallow in self pity, which does happen once in a blue moon or two, or we can put a smile on our face and do the best we can. Like the hymn goes: When upon lifes billows you are tempest tost, and you are discouraged thinking all is lost, Count your many blessings name them one by one, and it will surprise you what the Lord has done."
I know life is hard, and right now I know that very well, but yesterday while at teh hospital, my youngest son, Charles, wanted to get somethign to eat for us at teh cafeteria, so he wheeled me in and I had exaclty 6.75. It was enough to get to hamburgers, no fries or drinks but I was happy we could get anything at all. As we ordered the man asked if we wanted fries with our burgers and we said no thanks, short on cash today. He smiled and said he knew what that was like. Then he gave us our burgers and said, I gave you fries but just pay for the burgers. So we went to teh cash register and the lady rang us up for one combo meal. She said that someone had boughten one combo meal for me. So I had enough to get Charles combo. It was a simple gesture that meant alot ot me. Charles was so good about helping me. He wheeled me around at frightening speeds, and loved to stop just in time to avoid a major disaster, haha but he made sure I had everything I needed. He was awesome. I am so proud. So here I am in teh midst of pain and agony, and the Lord still pours out his blessings on me. Can you see it? If I was only wallowing in self doubt and pity all the itme, then I couldn't see the good that is around me.
I still have my moments, but I am so grateful for a kind and loving Lord. :)
Life is good. I have decided to look at it that way!
"

3 comments:

  1. Excellent post!!!! I love when I hear acts of kindness. And Charles. I can totally see him pushing you around the Hospital. =) What a cute kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post!!!! I'm with Carolyn it's nice to hear acts of kindness... and Charles sounds like a super cute kid!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha Jen you got it right. Carolyn, yOu know it was pretty cool that he would push me around even if I was scared for my life lol. Today, I was going a bit stir crazy and started to walk towards Arctic which is less than a block away, my kids told me not to go, but I was determined I didn't care how much I hurt but I was going. Well, Charles ran after me and I ddin't even make it acros the drive way before tha pain was awful. I kept going though. He finally blocked me about 50 yards from my house and wouldnt' let me proceed further. he actually wouldn't let me go. I was soooo upset. haha. By the time I turned around and got back I was suffering so bad I had to stop after every step. Well, by the time I was sufficiantly humbled andsitting in my warm house. I had to stop beign mad at him. HE was right. I should have never tried to walk there. I had not eaten all day and sitting here was driving me insane. My doc won't call in a perscription for a wheelchair and I can't find a medical supply store that will rent them haha. So I am a bit frustrated and I am grateful for kids that are daring enough to stand up to me when I am being "stupid"
    :)

    ReplyDelete